AIM or MSN should be a requirement for the League

Discussion in 'MLB 16: The Show' started by MixMasterMike, May 13, 2004.

1. MixMasterMike

MixMasterMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AIM or MSN should be

Some people are extremely busy all the time and always play things by ear, including myself. The easiest way to schedule a game online is to add your opponent to your AIM or MSN list and when you can play, check to see if they are online. Then you can just play the game right there and then.

I think for anyone to be in this league, they must have a messenger service to be able to be contacted easily. I'm not going to schedule times over PM's or emails because that is way too shaky. You could forget about the scheduled time, or hell even I could forget about it... and someone will end up waiting online for no reason. The best thing to do is to talk to the person right then and there so you know they're getting online. Everyone in the hockey league has AIM or MSN and I have absolutely no problem getting in touch with any of them, and it seems no one else has any problems either. Now all of a sudden there are newbie scheduling problems in the baseball league, and I think something needs to be done. If you don't want to get a messenger service, then quit the league.

No Streaming Account
  2. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Fiddy14#6440
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i agree 100% with you. i'm in 2 espn hockey leagues and everyone in both leagues has aim or yim or msn, so its very easy to set up games. i'm in a rivals league also that does the same.

No Streaming Account
  3. banakas

banakas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I shouldn't play baseball cause I don't have access to a PC between the hours of 6 - 11 pm? Sure I have aim at work and I use it when trying to contact people. However, I disagree with the statement that if you don't use AIM you shouldn't be in this league. That's just ~*~*. This league has all the tools you need to schedule your games. We have access to a perfectly good PM and if you can't remember when you schedule something then you shouldn't be here either or get more organized. How hard is it to click on the "You have X new messages" and then click on new post? When your opponent comes to check the boards then he will be notified of the new message.

Some of us have other things in our lives that have to be taken care of, such as spending time with our family, going out and getting things done that we don't have time to do during the day. So who knows when they would be able "jump online" and see if someone is available. However, if you schedule a meeting with someone, you make plans to play the games and then do the other stuff later.

If anyone has any problems with my opinion, PM me. :twisted:

No Streaming Account
  4. Darthor

Darthor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PM's work pretty good IMO especially when you can go into your profile and select:

Pop up window on new Private Message:
    Some templates may open a new window to inform you when new private messages arrive.

Everytime you log on you know if there's a new PM or not because in addition to looking at the top right part of the site there will be a pop-up window displayed to let you know. Of course, there's nothing wrong with AIM or MSN either. Those 3 choices are better than making a thread whining about how poor old "you" can't get a game in no matter how hard you try. *tear* :laugh: If that's the case then you should use a PM, AIM or MSN to talk to a commish and not resort to childish flaming and CYA threads which are so rampant here now.

No Streaming Account
  5. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I agree with banakas. The reasons people have to "schedule" games are many. Most of us can't just play on a "whim". To me, if you're so busy that you can't accomodate your opponent, then maybe you shouldn't be in the league.

This stuff is getting to absurd and I'm probably going to step away from this league. However, I believe setting set times to play and then being there to play them is the only way.

Some people have to schedule times around their kids school/sports schedule, wife's schedule, work schedule etc. That doesn't mean they aren't dedicated by any means. It seems the people that have more going on outside of LG are the ones getting their games in. How? By scheduling their games.

I don't think I should HAVE to play only when my opponent is ready. This is a two party setup and we should be accomodating to each other. I refuse to play because of all a sudden you're available. That's bullsh*t. I'm not going to sit here and IM people every hour asking "you ready now?" I got stuff to do too.

I also have a problem with all the ATTITUDE I'm seeing in this league. People aren't understanding of situations and their only response is, don't like it...leave. Well, if you discuss these matters (meaning talk them out and hear all sides) things get changed for the better. The Links Team play has had these discussions and the league and it's rules keep getting better and better every week.

No Streaming Account
  6. CanEHdian

CanEHdian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I belive having some kind of messenger service helps scheduling a bit, but I do not think it should be a requirement of the league. Im sure with all the methods we have of contacts either on this site or through messenger services everyone can get their games in within the week's time frame.

As for the GM ripping going on those guys need to chill the hell out. Instead of publicly bashing someone why dont you PM the commish about it and let him see what's going on. I do not understand why people have to go out and start talking sh*t about soemone else just because their opponent wont play when they are available.

No Streaming Account
  7. Pinstripe Moose

Pinstripe Moose Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also agree that AIM of MSN should not be "required". Juji said it perfectly, as I am not going to play on a whim. That may work once in a while for me...but not for an entire season. Most of the weeks I need to have a schedule set-up as I'm not going to sit home and hope that I can meet up with my opponent online. I really don't see why it's so hard to schedule games on the site either through a thread or a PM.

Also Juji's right again in saying that the attitudes are going a bit downhill...debate is nice, but verbal attacks and immaturity are going to get us nowhere. This league as a whole will not benefit from creating enemies...it may even push good owners away.

No Streaming Account
  8. macteago

macteago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agree with Stripe and Juji entirely.

MSN and AIM are nice tools but you still need to PM to set up scheduled times, it's just the cosiderate thing to do. Just playing on a whim will not work for most people.

I agree that the attitude and maturity is extremely poor.

Grow up and be a man! People need to be 1) less antagonistic 2) less sensitive, most of you guys are whining like little girls back and forth.

It's a game, it is suppose to be fun.

No Streaming Account
  9. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im in the group that likes to schedule games too. Makes my life easier. And if real life issues come up you can cancel it and not have someone waiting for you. But i dont see anything wrong with messaging someone on a whim and playing if BOTH parties are free to play and happen to be at the PC. But thats going to take longer obviously.

I think you guys are overstating the attitude problems with this league. Its really only from a few guys, most of whom are new to the site and will hopefully settle down after their nap.

No Streaming Account
  10. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know who's new or not, but there is a lot of attitude from some of the guys that AREN'T new. I won't name names because maybe it's just that I'm not used to their postings. However, there are a lot of posts that are argumentative, accusatory, and in your face.

It seems these people don't like "discussing" issues and would rather flame people. If we want this attitude we can go to any other forum on the 'net. Also, I'm used to the attitude of the Links players I have to admit. For the most part, they're a helpful, considerate group. Over here you ask a question you need to be prepared for a rude reply :(

No Streaming Account
  11. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe im just de-sensitized or because im from New York :)

Anyway, hope you dont quit the league over that, i think it will settle down.

No Streaming Account
  12. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    Question then, how would you enter stats if you don't have pc access ?

13. jujimum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Write them down like a lot of us are doing, then enter them at 11:01pm

:twisted: :twisted:

No Streaming Account
  14. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    omg i'm never getting married now :shock:

15. banakas

banakas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm at my girlfriends house at that time and if i'm not scheduled to play a match, then I'm not on the PC or the Xbox. However, if I play a game, and I win, then I would ask her to get off the damn computer so I can enter the stats :)

Also, the way I've been playing. I don't think entering the stats on my end would be a problem.

Plus, I would write the stats down on paper and if I had too, wait till I get home and enter them.

No Streaming Account
  16. mnkytrix

mnkytrix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everyone is going to schedule differently. Putting more requirements and rules on people is just going to make things worse. I think the frustration stems from not being able to hook up with opponents and wasting time. The thing I ask of everyone in this league is to PLEASE let Denman or me know of any scheduling conflicts that are arising.

As we all know, communication is a huge part of a league's success - not only communication with your opponents, but also communication with the commissioners.

No Streaming Account
  17. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering, how come I never get a pop up? I mean I do happen to catch the: You have 1 new message towards the top right of my screen, but I would like it better if it pops something up. Does it pop up for you guys, or do none of you get it either?

No Streaming Account
  18. nosice

nosice Only Texans Fan @ LG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i get the pop up....

No Streaming Account
  19. mnkytrix

mnkytrix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You just need to have more than one computer in the house. :wink: When my gf and I lived together, we both had a computer seperate from each other. Of course, sometimes I had to put the "SMACKDOWN" and tell her to get off the computer if the games were too laggy. :twisted:

Now we don't live together and when she comes over, she knows I will have at least an hour where I need to be online at LG or play some games.

No Streaming Account
  20. socalguy

socalguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, that is very weird, which forum skin do you use nosice? I use to use the SubSilver_blue, but about 3 weeks ago switched over to just normal SubSilver in order to see if it still happened, and it did.

No Streaming Account