Please Vote! LG Overhaul (NHL/AHL)

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming American Hockey League (LGAHL)' started by ChiSouthSiderr, Aug 4, 2021.

?

What was your general availability during the NHL 21 game cycle?

1. 3/9 and lower

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 4/9

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. 5/9

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. 6/9

36 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. 7/9

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. 8/9

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. 9/9

71 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. ChiSouthSiderr

ChiSouthSiderr Well-Known Member

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    I think it is time for a complete overhaul in how this league is structured. It's not just a summer league thing, its a LG thing. Being a Manager in the A for a few seasons, this is what I have noticed:

1) Management:

This season especially has seen the worst management groups I've ever seen across all leagues. We had two teams basically fold already in the AHL. An NHL team on the brink of folding (due to availability).

NHL

Owners weren't filled till right before the draft. people just don't want own anymore because of avail, responsibility of basically two teams and worry of fielding a bad team and people quitting, also being a free contract when you know you aren't worth one.

*Possible solution* Completely overhaul how owner and GM's contracts are given out.

Criteria should be:

- 1 full season played previously in the NHL

- Owner contract is either the average contract amount of all the contracts received or last contract given. So if a 3rd line player wants to own and he is has been 500k his whole career, he would be 500k. I think we would have a lot more competent owners owning.

- 1 free contract (GM) or 2 free contracts (GM & AGM), if you go the route of 1 free contract you may have to raise the total cap number.

AHL

Right now, AHL managers are glorified babysitters for the NHL owner. There is no incentive anymore to manage in the A. All that happens to you is you get your assets traded away by the NHL owner (even if you made the trade in the AHL for AHL assets). There's a big imbalance of AHL teams right now, as you can see most of the good AHL teams have bad NHL teams or you have NHL owners that will move their own assets to "stack their AHL team".

Also teams with no assets will always have a hard time getting AHL managers because they know if they can't get send downs or draft picks there team is basically toast off the rip. If you look at the past cup winners you can see that there were at least one or two send downs and they had plenty of assets to make trades.

*Possible solution*

- AHL rostered players won in AHL bidding are restricted from being moved by the NHL owner. We just had an NHL team move their AHL's best player for an NHL player (while they were in a playoff spot) that AHL team proceeded to blow it up and fold. Draft picks are exempt however as they are drafted by the NHL owner.

- Draft picks need to be looked at, I say we either get rid of trading draft picks for AHL players or if an AHL draft pick was acquired in an AHL only deal then that pick is AHL protected and the NHL owner is not allowed to move it.

- Callups on AHL players won in AHL bidding are only allowed if the NHL player clears waivers first. Unless there is a ban, then there's nothing they can do. Now with the proposed NHL changes there should be less bans as there's more of a chance for a 3rd line owners team to be competitive because the paid contract is a less detriment to the team.

- NHL send downs, this is a tricky one with how the draft is structured. Maybe have the lottery and draft after AHL bidding? This leads to teams being less "stacked" with assets (send down bids) and the NHL teams will have to actually bid on a full roster. Hopefully the NHL suggestions will bring more parity and there will be less teams with 10-15 draft picks.

2) Availability:

Has been horrible throughout all the leagues these past couple years. This isn't just due to real life conflicts, this is people giving 4/9 to get moved from their current situations. i.e. I had someone last season give me 4/9 saying he can only play Tuesdays due to work... Ended up trading that player and the next couple weeks he was playing Sun/Mon/Tue. The reason I knew he was manipulating his avail was because I had people tell flat out he said he was...

Also with the integration of Esports, we had a lot of conflicting times, especially in the AHL. I understand Esports bring in revenue and it's a smart business decision. We also had other tournaments that are not on LG, that are conflicting times.

*Possible solution*

- When players sign up they have to give min 6/9 avail and it has to show up on the sign up list. If they can't give 6/9 then they can't play period. Especially with how we are structured in the 3/3/3 schedule. People don't want to play 2 games one day then have to show up the next game for one game. This is a pretty obvious one if you ask me, not sure why it has taken so long to change.

- This could drop the sign up numbers down even more, but we can remove CHL teams to accommodate the trickle effect.

- Also, people are gonna say "Well the elites aren't going to play now because they are 3 or 4/9 cause of esports. WELL SO BE IT, let them play esports and let the casuals play LG. This is for fun at the end of the day.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

All in all, this is just something I have been thinking about the past couple seasons. Yeah I may not be an NHLer but I do like the league as a whole and I want it to thrive. Comment below if you agree or disagree. I'll be posting this in both the NHL and AHL forums.

Also vote above what your average avail was for the NHL 21 game cycle.

• Like Like x 22
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  2. Fleury l8l

Fleury l8l Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +600 / 17 / -20
    NHL send downs should be allowed to be PAGMs too. Every team has the chance to bid on them. Just have to add that in there.

• Creative Creative x 1
    No Streaming Account
  3. P4ttelite

P4ttelite Well-Known Member

Discord:
    P4ttelite#8770
    Ratings:
    +2,051 / 230 / -350
    the thing is NHL will always call up there best ahl guys cause that is like real life u don't see AHL teams in real life complain cause they loss there best players people need to understand that the ahl is a backup plan for the nhl the ahl can easily replace that player with a chl call up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    xspezzal19lx
  4. Duchesne_x_10

Duchesne_x_10 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    duchesne_x_10#0
    Ratings:
    +236 / 7 / -16
    And go from contender to average at best team ? You miss the point there patty , it’s just really sad when you have a good start of the season and boom all the lines change and you get absolutely nothing back !

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    No Streaming Account
  5. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    All or most of these rule changes should be incredibly likely to happen. People have been complaining for years, and if this season isn't the tipping point... The AHL might as well cease to exist.
    • NHL can't trade anyone won in AHL bidding.
    • NHL can't call anyone up without sending someone down (player must be cap compliant for the AHL team) or having an open spot because of a ban.
    • AHL gets call up protections to protect their top players in case their NHL team has multiple bans.
    NHL owners will undoubtedly complain about these changes because these changes only benefit the AHL and does nothing to benefit them. This is why I'm in favor of a much bigger change to mostly "separate" the NHL from the AHL which would help both leagues greatly, but the changes might be too much for the league to handle.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    bossy_22_
  6. P4ttelite

P4ttelite Well-Known Member

Discord:
    P4ttelite#8770
    Ratings:
    +2,051 / 230 / -350
    they should implement a rule where the NHL and AHL should both send a aproval for a call up just like they do for trades cause right now the NHL have all the power and can call up who ever withought the ahl management agreeing to it that would solve the full problem. All Call Up should be approved by both league management before being process.

• Like Like x 1
    xspezzal19lx
  7. Dad of Five 81

Dad of Five 81 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Dad of Five 81#1761
    Ratings:
    +269 / 8 / -20
    I've owned and managed NHL teams in the past.

At the end of the day, it's about communication. You want to call up a player from the ahl? Let your ahl team know and ecu him for 2 weeks. This allows them to make proper arrangements. ( keep in mind ahl must also not be a childish and trade said player)

I know this isn't what most people want but the ahl is a farm system. People SHOULD be playing here for the end goal to be called up.

On the same token i don't mind having a player protection. Could help.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    dadoffive81
  8. The Skoden

The Skoden Well-Known Member

Discord:
    The Skoden#1738
    Ratings:
    +121 / 10 / -19
    No Streaming Account
  9. ChiSouthSiderr

ChiSouthSiderr Well-Known Member

Discord:
    chisouthsiderr#0
    Ratings:
    +881 / 224 / -237
    But if you’re an nhl owner and you call up someone in AHL bidding cause he’s better than someone you bid on in the N then shame on you. Maybe you should actually scout, the AHL management group should have to suffer with their owners incompetence.

• Like Like x 4
    • Get Good Get Good x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    ChiSouthSiderr
  10. FLEET GOD

FLEET GOD Retired

Discord:
    FLEETGOD#3126
    Ratings:
    +397 / 13 / -62
    @LG McDonald this is fantastic feedback on the current state of the Ahl. I hope you have time to see and read this!

FLEETGOD1
  11. KingRussia1522

KingRussia1522 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    kingrussia#0
    Ratings:
    +14 / 4 / -8
    Great post fully agree

No Streaming Account
  12. Jumps69

Jumps69 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +451 / 48 / -89
    I don't know how this would work but i would like for there to be a limit placed on how many nhl send downs/draft picks can be on each ahl roster to prevent instances from the past where NHL owners would practically build an ahl team for their ahl guys using nhl assets!

• Like Like x 1
    Jumpsss
  13. CAPITALS1921

CAPITALS1921 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    CAPITALS1921#8956
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Nicely done. Bad availability is the worst.

No Streaming Account
  14. SQUADCAV16

SQUADCAV16 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    squadcav16#0
    Ratings:
    +102 / 1 / -2
    Maybe the solutions is figuring out a way to have more 2-way contracts. There doesn’t seem to be that many Amateurs playing in the NHL. So what if there were 3 forwards and 2 d men that had designated 2-way contracts?

The NHL management can choose the ones that get the deal and we create a new icon (like the palm tree) for those players. Either that or maybe change the number of games required to become a Vet so there’s a larger amount of amateurs?

Yes it fucking sucks when you have a really good team and you lose pieces to the NHL, but that’s the point of the AHL. I think we’re better off looking at solutions to help both the NHL and AHL instead of putting them both on their own island.

I believe That figuring out a way to have more players eligible to pass through NHL waivers would solve a lot of those problems. Even if the AHL doesn’t have a need for the player, they can likely deal them.

Most of the problems in the league seem to stem from Egos and people getting into pissing contests anyway.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  15. Duchesne_x_10

Duchesne_x_10 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    duchesne_x_10#0
    Ratings:
    +236 / 7 / -16
    Agreed !

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  16. TheBobbyOrr4

TheBobbyOrr4 Anyone need a pizza

Discord:
    TheBobbyOrr4#2233
    Ratings:
    +1,626 / 73 / -358
    You said it best, have draft after ahl bidding. Make people fill thier rosters.

Skyhighsms
  17. Rise_Of_Knies

Rise_Of_Knies Well-Known Member

Discord:
    oneteeovi#0
    Ratings:
    +1,002 / 335 / -632
    No more selecting AHL management prior to NHL bidding. This would take out people we think that shouldn't be ahl management cause they're really NHL caliber. NHL owners bid on their team. Anyone left without an nhl bid can become AHL management. AHL builds their own roster. Each control their own rosters except DPs belong to NHL and can use them wherever they prefer. AHL should just be an ecu for their NHL team. Training camp should be used for replacing players . NHL teams have draft picks & future draft picks as assets to repair their team. AHL doesn't have that privilege.

• Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  18. TheBobbyOrr4

TheBobbyOrr4 Anyone need a pizza

Discord:
    TheBobbyOrr4#2233
    Ratings:
    +1,626 / 73 / -358
    @cHELIOS-7x that actually isnt a bad idea. AT ALL. To add too it, maybe have no more multi szn deals in ahl also and no resigns sense all players have to go through nhl bidding anyway. Good post @cHELIOS-7x

Skyhighsms
  19. l Bossy l x 22

l Bossy l x 22 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    Bossy#9297
    Ratings:
    +3,325 / 126 / -162
    That doesn't work. Nobody wants to manage in the AHL. It would take forever to find 64 AHL managers after NHL bidding... Removing multi-season deals, resigns and preventing NHL level managers from managing in the AHL makes the AHL significantly worse, and would further lower peoples interest in managing in the AHL because they wouldn't be rewarded for making good bids, and would be unable to resign or give multiple seasons to their friends.

The only good point made here is that the AHL could and should be used almost exclusively for ECUs. Have a AHL TC Draft for the NHL, and give them a TC of their CHL DPs and AHL DPs and those are the only people they can call-up all season long. Gives the NHL the best possible call-up eligible players, and protects AHL teams from being blown up. It's so simple.

• Like Like x 1
    bossy_22_
  20. Mxzzin

Mxzzin Well-Known Member

Discord:
    mxzzin#0
    Ratings:
    +328 / 29 / -62
    Being considered “active” NEEDS to be changed from 4/9 to 6/9. Simply put.

• Like Like x 1
    No Streaming Account