Should the AGM Spot be Removed?

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by AgentSooksta008, Dec 9, 2013.

?

AGM: Keep or Remove?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Alternative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Follisimo

Follisimo Two-Way

Discord:
    Avalanchian#3515
    Ratings:
    +113 / 5 / -17
    Let me ask you this. Why bump the salary cap up 3mil? There is no need to raise it. Maybe owners might actually have to bid smart instead. So removing the AGM and leaving the cap alone would be best. Let the owners actually have to think about their bidding.

Rhapsodical
  2. ReapingHavoc14

ReapingHavoc14 Only Bruins Fan

Ratings:
    +24 / 8 / -1
    I voted YES ...to be removed...I think that's what it means anyway

No Streaming Account
  3. Ay Dindu Nuffin

Ay Dindu Nuffin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,630 / 55 / -82
    I remember back in the Vhl around seasons 6-8 when people were mad because good players weren't allowed to be management. Now people want to reduce the amount of management because good players are taking management. Funny how things work.

Let's get rid of it though.

No Streaming Account
  4. Pure Pone

Pure Pone REALEST MAN

Discord:
    purepone#0
    Ratings:
    +409 / 1 / -7
    Just an idea/brainstorm:

Ditch the name AGM, make it Captain.

Take the top 5-10 highest paid players in the league, average that out. That's your Captain salary. Think of it as like the franchise tag in the NFL.

Captain has to be on the team for 2 seasons. So basically, you want to get an "elite" guy locked up on your team without having to get into a bidding war, that's your option, and in turn he/she has that locked salary for 2 seasons. This salary changes each season depending on the average of the top 5-10 paid players.

Captain's role is pretty simple: If management needs your help on your game nights, you assist.

No Streaming Account
  5. LikeaHardPuzzle

LikeaHardPuzzle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +240 / 0 / -4
    Just do management bidding. ;)

No Streaming Account
  6. ClarkesKids

ClarkesKids #6 LD/RD - Clarke

Discord:
    ClarkesKids#7109
    Ratings:
    +433 / 0 / -2
    There is no rule stating we must cater to these types as I have seen done in years past. You have the best community and website so make rules that are fair and those that think they are too good to follow or otherwise can go take a giant leap.

Build it right and everything falls into place

No Streaming Account
  7. BigJay x89

BigJay x89 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    bigjayy#0
    Ratings:
    +1,865 / 93 / -94
    New structure.

NHL owner and GM
    once bidding is over announce NHL C, A ,A. you give C, A, A, The tools to make lines/stats and it gives them experience for management duties over the next few seasons.
    2 seasons as C equals 1 GM, 2 seasons of A = 1 C. something along those lines.

No Streaming Account
  8. ReplayChr1s

ReplayChr1s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +784 / 12 / -37
    That wouldn't work because you are forcing an elite player to play for the team for 2 seasons because the owner appointed him as captain, and taking away his trade request. Not that i'm elite, but if a bad team won me in bidding and told me i was captain and im stuck there for two seasons because of it i would quit. not fair to do that to someone without their consent

and to jay:

as long as you played in the game you can take stats, don't need special tools. as far as making lines, the person can "make the lines" and then tell the owner which names to click and schedule (thats all it take to making lines, clicking a persons name that signed up) as i'm sure you know being management.

No Streaming Account
  9. Ozzyng2

Ozzyng2 Ignore the man behind the curtain

Ratings:
    +1,321 / 12 / -71
    I was just referring to people suggestion a fixed salary for the AGM and stating that its nothing more than no salary or a padded salary cap to compensate for it.

10. LG McDonald

LG McDonald Director of Hockey Operations

Discord:
    McDonald#2877
    Ratings:
    +12,044 / 114 / -859
    At this point in time, the AGM position will not removed. I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions. Since this is the first season of the merge, there IS NO MGT criteria. That being said MGT criteria will be presented after a season or two of this new system.

The AGM spot has proven to be effective in my past experiences, I do agree with the lessen amount of work to be MGT it may be a position that becomes obsolete in future seasons to come.

I like idea of promoting someone after bidding.

We are going forward with the status quot for this season, and we will re hash it all and vote it out of the constitution if need be for the next season.

Great ideas thus far and keep the debate going.

LeagueGamingOfficial
  11. brandovedo

brandovedo Limited Reps Vet

Ratings:
    +872 / 33 / -43
    There are over 5 weeks until bidding. Please strongly (re)consider the "AGM promotion after bidding" idea before insisting on the staus quo. It's not at all about removing the AGM position. It's simply to reduce the number of salary-free roster spots from 3 to 2 for the sake of parity. The refusal to further consider implementing the idea for S17 (despite public interest, ease of change, and sufficient time) is confusing and not fully justified.

brandovedo
  12. lL A lK lE

lL A lK lE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +486 / 1 / -7
    Of course it was effective back when everything was so much harder to complete and Techno was in charge of making all those "fancy" stats systems, and you guys had those absolutely ~*~* line threads where owners were suspended for not having the lines centered. Tris has made everything you could possibly do on here so easy, a five year old can perform well in the AGM role just by using two fingers(one to scroll and one to click, and then taking a picture on your phone for stats).

No Streaming Account
  13. TVxCasualty

TVxCasualty I don't like you.

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Thanking this post just wasn't enough, so I will also quote for truth.

No Streaming Account
  14. officialmark07

officialmark07 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,854 / 33 / -93
    Maybe the league should choose the same owners/managenent/rosters for every team so these goofs have nothing to complain about.

Make everything absolutely fair, and bring back the mercy rule, but make it 1 goal because if a team is up by more than one it obviously isn't fair. All defensmen and forwards need to use the same build because some builds are better than others thus eliminating parity within the league.

Lastly, we should take away individual awards, and give everyone a trophy no matter where they finish. How fair is it that only one team can win a cup? Don't even get me started on Chicago...

No Streaming Account
  15. LikeaHardPuzzle

LikeaHardPuzzle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +240 / 0 / -4

Pros and cons to both sides of the argument. Put your big boy pants on and discuss, no need to troll it up Mark.

No Streaming Account
  16. Follisimo

Follisimo Two-Way

Discord:
    Avalanchian#3515
    Ratings:
    +113 / 5 / -17
    The Amish can build a house faster than 5 weeks and you can't decide a simple decision that you know people want changed. For shame. Tris pretty much already explained things are so easy for managers here. From what I saw the AGM spot is nothing more than stacking your team. You can sugar coat it any way you want but people know the truth. Good luck revising this in 1-2 seasons in hopes people just drop it so the kiddies can have their 3 amigos free.

Rhapsodical
  17. AgentSook008

AgentSook008 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    sillysook613#0
    Ratings:
    +1,096 / 5 / -29
    I'm just gonna say thanks for chirping my poorly set up poll to everybody, I went and cried last night for a bit last night after I got home from the Sens game (and they even won in a shootout, Christmas fucking miracle gents).

In response to this though, Ozzy the idea of 3 mil as an example was just to take away a bit from the cap so that the player isn't free. Like Follisimo said, keep the cap the same. I'm sure owners would still pick the same player regardless of whether it was a fixed 3 mil or not, but 3 mil could be the difference between cementing another elite player in bidding or not. 3 mil would just be kind of like a solid hometown discount in a way, that's just kind of how I was thinking of it. It was just an idea like many others in this thread.

I think SMP is right though. VHL/LGHL has those ideals that just won't happen. Ideally, your AGM does a bit of work like picking up stats for games that they were in, or getting lines together if both other management aren't on. There is a disparity between AGMs across the league IMO, where some do much more work than others. I thought the position initially had set duties, such as the ones I had just mentioned, but now it has become duties set out by the Owner, which is unfortunately for many "We just don't want to pay for your FIO Tendy like cap hit". Ten mil for a nub like that gents, ten mil!

No Streaming Account
  18. act1veD

act1veD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +531 / 5 / -6
    There are some good ideas in this thread, as well as the draft thread. Since there are two separate ones, I'm just going to post my thoughts on both so I'm not jumbling my ideas into two separate threads. One thing that we continue to debate over is the fact that by removing AGM, and let's say having a 2 round draft before bidding, essentially players not taken in those 2 rounds would end up being overpaid potentially in bidding. Players that had realistic salaries will then become the wants/needs of bidding, and end up having salaries that aren't realistic to their skillset/chemistry to a team.

Yes, elite players would benefit from having a draft, and would definitely benefit if the AGM was taken out WITH a draft in place. However, I think we're forgetting the impact/inflation it would potentially have on bidding for players who aren't in the elite category.

I also think that the draft would bring some relevance back to the draft, especially if there was no AGM and the draft was every season. However, then you also lose the ability to track who is truly a rookie to the league (thus awards for rookie of the year, etc.).

I do agree that the AGM seems to be a position that people fill with a free player, and in the end it would help benefit the parity around the league, as well as boost the talent pool in bidding. But I also think that if you throw in the draft this season, it puts some teams at a potential unfair advantage since we're not going off of performance from the previous season. If a team with stacked management ends up pulling the number 1 pick, then they're essentially getting what they would have at AGM besides several points:

1.) A elite player on an elite contract who can basically ask for a trade at any time.
    2.) A elite player who can also be resigned after his contract is up at said elite price to another respectable resign price
    3.) If the salary cap was raised to adjust for the lack of an AGM, this also gives another team an advantage since the price of the player potentially would cover what the raise in the cap would be. Theoretically speaking, a free player.

What would be most fair and bring the most parity to the league, in my opinion, would be to get rid of the AGM, and have no draft. Although I like that the draft would have some relevance again, I just feel that the only real positive with it is protecting elite players from getting terrible contracts. On the downside though, those same elite players get elite contracts and in the end would drive up/inflate the non-elite players that are in bidding. So essentially we'd be having the same problem, just with players who aren't of the elite category. Since top players are top players for a reason, an increase in salary comes with that. Hurting the non-elite players to give people an advantage isn't the right thing to do.

tl;dr - Since most owners have their management already selected, the best idea would be for the community to pitch to the LGHLPA once it's voted upon, to have the constitution amended for NEXT season to remove the AGM, with no draft. I believe that this is the most fair way of doing it, and gives all teams the opportunity at players in bidding. This is obviously just my opinion, but I feel like people are looking for some of our thoughts behind all of these things.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    No Streaming Account
  19. Mav x19x

Mav x19x Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +992 / 18 / -31
    Again, the poll is 50/50 on this. I am not sure how someone can state that this mean "people want it changed". It was not a poll to let the player base decide, it was for their opinion. Our opinion is 50/50, so management made the call to keep the system as is.

Maverik19
  20. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    If that's the decision so be it, just stop using the excuse that there isn't time and that it'll be discussed for the following season. There are 5 weeks until bidding, that's more than enough time to reevaluate the decision and provide owners ample time to prepare for the bidding.

No Streaming Account
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.