Will you buy EA's Latest Sports Title?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Bartlett89, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow, this thread got off topic. The point is, regardless of political affiliations, its a matter of right or wrong in this case. Vick was wrong, cruel and inhuman in some of his alleged actions. He deserves to go to jail and to lose his financial empire than financed this BS.

No Streaming Account
  2. slow elk

slow elk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Harrington is a good qb. He's been stuck in crappy systems. There's only so much you can polish a terd. And Detroit's O has been a huge terd since the departure of Barry. How long has that been?

No Streaming Account
  3. jcon77

jcon77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well he was in Miami too, which isn't a terrible team. I would say he is the polished turd there too. Either way, Culpepper signed with the Raiders, so its a moot point. Since Vinny Testaverde got picked up by the Pats, looks like Joey is the man in Hotlanta :)

No Streaming Account
  4. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kevin, I'm going to refrain from passing judgement on your interpretation of what I wrote, and instead try to further clarify my point of view. Please note that I am not bashing one political party over another. As far as I'm concerned the lack of integrity and ethics in politics is evident in both parties. I'm not railing against Republicans, I'm railing against the entire political and judicial system as well as the cronyism that is so obvious, if not rampant.

I further tried to make a correlation between the lack of integrity and ethics in politics, sports, and entertainment and the fact that the US still claims to uphold the Christian values the nation was built around and upon. I find it laughable that the religious right publicly has a sanctimonious cow over Janet Jackson flashing some titty during the Superbowl, but doesn't levy the same outrage when their own leadership (i.e. President Bush and his administration) are at this point incapable of explaining some very serious ethical and integrity problems.

The religious right was all up in arms when President Clinton got blown in the Oval office, but where is the religious right amid years of accusations of human rights abuses (Gitmo and the shuffling of suspects in captivity to nations willing to torture), ethics and integrity abuses (Libby, Gonzalez), and the Bush administration bypassing the constitution and illegally surveiling US Citizens by invading the privacy specifically protected by the constitution (illegal phone/wire taps)?

I stand by my opinion of the hypocrisy of the religious right. Am I saying all Christians are hypocrites? Absolutely not, no. I do think the religious right, along with powerful special interest lobbies, did a fine job of re-electing the current President, a man they knew would cowtow to their religious beliefs (intelligent design taught in schools, anti-abortion, anti-stem cell research) despite his inefficiency as a leader and a poor, ethical track record.

I have nothing against good Christians who actually practice and live the words of Jesus, as long as they don't try to tell me how to live my life. Even something as divisive as abortion: has the religious right given any thought to what's going to happen after abortion is out-lawed? Is the United States going to start locking up women for wanting to have control over their own lives? As bad as that would look on the global stage of the developed/modern world, wouldn't we ultimately be locking women up for not sharing the religious beliefs of conservative Christians? Isn't freedom of religion protected under the constitution?

Kevin, I take issue with the hypocrisy and lack of integrity that I see rampant in our society today. I'm indiscriminate with my fire and brimstone for those who have no integrity. I wish I would have been able to convey that more clearly in my original message and avoid having you take this so personally. Emotion and intent can be difficult to convery in the written word, which is mainly why I almost always stay away from any serious discourse on religion or politics, as many people tend to have strong, personal opinions on both.

I put a lot of thought into what I do choose to write when I choose to write about religion and/or politics. I understand that my opinion is my own and that people are bound to disagree. Given that you felt strongly enough to disagree passionately, I would really prefer if we could have a discourse on the subject instead of engaging in a "you're full of it" and "give me a break" sort of debate comprised mostly of what appears to be an emotional reaction. Not that there's anything wrong with emotions. :mrgreen:

Just some further thoughts and clarifications, please accept my apology if I've offended anyone.

-Pete

5. BxGngsta

BxGngsta Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How much longer before this thread is closed? LOL I respect all the opinions expressed in here. You guys have shed some light on the topic, enough for me to understand some of the things I didn't see. Vick will do hard time depending on how big the gambling ring really was.

BTW, I would buy the game only if you can create your own character and only if you can create your own Dog Pimp Legend similar to NCAA's format.

No Streaming Account
  6. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As long as the discussion remains civil I don't see any reason why it should be closed. Nothing wrong with exchanging points of view if it can be done without personal attacks and insults. :mrgreen:

7. nosice

nosice Only Texans Fan @ LG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my "full of it" reaction comes from the idea that this has anything to do with Christian right.. Christian left.. Buddhist Right.. Buddhist Left.. Athiest RIght Athiest Left Tree hugging right or Tree hugging left And What ever left or right there is out there..

IT has nothing to do with that..

It has everything to do with a guy not doing what he's suppose to do and he got caught. And that's it..

It has nothing do with what happen at a superbowl or clintons years, or even down today .. That's why im saying give me a break..

IF i wanted to talk politics i would say this... I find it to be disgusting to see America split by two parties.. And to hear guys gripe about one party or the next. To think that we find ourselves pointing fingers of why this happens and why that happens because of belief. IF any fingers needed to be pointed at anybody it is Me!! Not them, not they, not those people.. IT's ME..

We're government of the people and by the people.. We have a right to vote yet a HUGE minority of the population are voting members. And it starts with the class elections in school to the presidential elections.

Im a democrat... Family always said that when a democrat is in office we have money in our pocket.. lol.. But i find myself reaching across the "aisle" in wanting a bigger military and Second admendment protection.. I personally belief though it maybe twisted.. is the reason why we are still on the map is because of our might and that every hillbilly and redneck in the U.S. has a rifle.. AND NO i dont think we should be in anybody's affairs.. and no i dont agree with Iraq war... I just think we should be the "sleeping Giant again". So where does it all put me.. I believe In God, i believe it should taught to all and though its a stone of stumbling and rock of offense to some, its liberty and freedom to those that believe..

ANd in all this IT Doesnt mean squat if I dont vote!!.. All that blood shed in the name of freedom dont mean squat.. if i dont use the rights given to me and do the duties asked of me...

We can point and say its his fault or they're fault.. But somebody needs to take responsibility and say IT's My fault!! Instead of all this finger pointing and Washington Lockdown that has been going down for years..

Saying all that, has nothing to do with the TOPIC.. Vick got caught.. He shouldnt get away with being heartless.

No Streaming Account
  8. Tris10

Tris10 Site Founder

Discord:
    tris1o#0
    Ratings:
    +17,741 / 89 / -327
    ok i changed my mind... Yes, yes i am going to buy this EA game!
    I'm especially looking forward to the dog kennel franchise mode! I'm going to pump those dogs with 24 hours a day of full house re-runs. This will get them good and ready to fight to the death.

9. Drake

Drake <b>Administrator</b>

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont really get how we went from Vick to christian values but as long as it stays civil no one will close it.

No Streaming Account
  10. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You make good points and I agree with you. The manner in which I ended up talking about religion and politics was kind of a long and winding road. At some point in the thread there was some discussion regarding the reasoning behind why he's being prosecuted (other than the simple fact that a Grand Jury felt there was enough evidence to indict him). Race, fame, and wealth were mentioned as motives for the prosecution.

The reason why I ultimately brought the perspective of religion and politics into the discussion was to state that based on the lack of accountability in our highest public offices (Libby pardon, Miers/Gonzalez immunity) I felt it was hypocritical to prosecute Michael Vick for his role in the whole dog fighting operation. If the government doesn't hold itself accountable for obeying the law I feel they have little ground to stand on when it comes to prosecuting other people for not obeying the law.

Given that the current administration is in it's second term due largely to earning the support of a conservative Christian lobby/base I felt compelled to point out the hypocrisy between actually being a good Christian and the conduct we have seen from our administration over the last 6-7 years. I'm not saying one political group is better or worse than another, but the fact that the current administration has wrapped itself in Christian Faith while conducting themselves in such an un-Christian manner is what brought Christianity into this for me.

I also agree with you that the conduct of a minority (i.e. our administration) is not per se indicative of Christianity in general. That said, the conservative Christian base did re-elect the President, and that too is something to ponder. Is it ethical to elect someone to public office for the sole purpose of advancing one's own (religious) agenda (i.e. abortion, gay marriage ban, intelligent design, stem cell research), while knowing the person you are electing is not ethical and lacks integrity? Is it even more blasphemous to overlook ethics integrity to further your own agenda if that agenda is a Christian one?

How would Jesus feel about George Bush stating publicly that God told him to invade Afghanistan and Iraq? http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml

My beef isn't with Christianity. My beef is with hypocrisy and the lack of integrity and ethics in our government, sports, and entertainment.

-P

11. nosice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no idear either which is my point in a nut shell..

I hate to tell you guys this.. But if you think this is some heated battle or war that would suggest there needing to be a pad lock on this thread then you need to get outside more.. You've been sheltered too much..hehe lol..

No Streaming Account
  12. Probert

Probert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I accept responsibility for that one, and just did my best to explain how I got there. :mrgreen:

13. nosice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All i know pete.. is simply that it wasnt just them that got him elected.. I mean.. I would like to think that the 31% that approve of him doing his job would be that right wing Guys that you're talking about..

It takes a close 50% lol. to elect a president..

No Streaming Account
  14. edge997

edge997 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I started reading this thread but the posts just got too damn long. I do agree though that a dog kennel franchise mode would be sweet!

No Streaming Account
  15. nosice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My question is merely will the names of the dogs appear online are do we get.. Wiener Dog#1?

No Streaming Account
  16. Bob Marley

Bob Marley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm sick of celebrities thinking they're above the law, hope he does some time.

No Streaming Account
  17. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    LOL, you can have the real names if you get the Transfer Kit ;)

Gajeske85
  18. swiper19

swiper19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Vick has a new hit single out:

" who let the Mother F'n dawgs out?"

and on a serious note , good to see this thread staying civil.

No Streaming Account
  19. edge997

edge997 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No Streaming Account