EA just bought out ESPN now (15 Year Deal!!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sports Junky, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Marauders

Marauders Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My fear is that EA will come out with their own console and you know what that will do to XBox and Playstation when EA doesn't support them anymore with any of their games?

2. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the ESPN license kept them afloat these past years. Without it, Sega Sports probably couldn't have kept up at all, but people are attracted to that brand and style of presentation and I'm sure some bought the Sega games based on ESPN name alone (especially casual fans, and parents/gift givers attracted by the discount pricing).

I just hope Sega can keep it going with hockey and basketball. I think I'll stop playing video game hockey if EA is my only choice.

No Streaming Account
  3. pop0331

pop0331 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    am I wrong in thinking that we weren't going to get a new NHL game until the strike is over anyways?

and this is why I don't like the deal...

In a statement released just minutes ago, the world's largest game publisher said, "The relationship will include established EA SPORTS franchises--which will be enhanced by ESPN telecast, print and online content--as well as new sports games to be published by EA based on ESPN media properties."

established IMO here means "once great now crap"
    except for Madden and I haven't played Live yet

other than that, the only thing EA does right these days is FPS, adventure, and RTS games (LOTR)

they've lost their touch on sports

No Streaming Account
  4. Shush

Shush Renegade Admin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or what if they sign an exclusive deal with Sony? No matter how you look at it, EA's actions are bad for all of us.

No Streaming Account
  5. Virtual Assassin

Virtual Assassin Champ

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    only game Ea made that was garbage was Fifa.

complete garbage.

No Streaming Account
  6. swiper19

swiper19 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

mmmmm glowing pucks =P~

No Streaming Account
  7. GrandmasterB

GrandmasterB GRAPHIC ASSASSIN

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    This is complete BS! You EA fanboys know it as well as the rest of us sane individuals. Without competition we'll be forced to play the same old crap that EA cranks out year in and year out.

I don't see EA surviving if they try to turn out their own console. That would be suicide for them...or don't you guys remember that little product called "3DO"? They tried and failed then and will do so again if it comes about.

No Streaming Account
  8. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:?

What I know is because of this, EA Sports games will have the best of both products (Espn's presentation and Ea's gameplay). I am really excited about EA purchasing the ESPN rights. I SERIOUSLY doubt EA is going through all this trouble so they can lay back and put out "crap games". Besides if they decide to start putting out complete garbage I would think people would wise up and stop buying their games...I'd hope so anyways.

No Streaming Account
  9. Pyrogerbil

Pyrogerbil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seriously, ESPN presentation? So having an espn logo in the corner of a replay screen makes the game better? This has zero effect on either game. The NFL players rights might be a problem but this contract with ESPN means d*ck.

Madden will still look like dogshit and play even worse.
    I swear to this day I can load up madden pick the patriots and blitz every down then set my controller on the sofa on offense and win half my games. try doing that in 2k5. ROFLMAO

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1310755

interesting thread ont he subject

No Streaming Account
  10. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sure you can :roll:, perhaps on rookie against the AI.

Anytime you'd like to try that against a real life flesh and blood player, meet me on Live. :?

No Streaming Account
  11. windlessmoney

windlessmoney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    DITTO :evil: :wink: Please :!:

No Streaming Account
  12. Pyrogerbil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guarentee Id come closer to beating you then you could ever come on 2k5.

Sega wont play for you. Just like in real NFL football if you blitz every play your going to lose by 50.

But who really cares? Im sure madden is a great game it just has no bearing on reality. To me Sega is a superior product. So sorry

No Streaming Account
  13. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Plus the fact Madden never does anything to really upgrade the game. I have Madden 2001-2003 and all those are exactly the same. I played 2004 and that too seemed the same. Maybe 2005 is different but from what I have seen 2001-2004 were complete crap.

Gajeske85
  14. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wrong again fan boy :wink: . Check my sig, I was in Season 1 and 2 of ESPN NFL here and did quite well (deep into the playoffs both seasons). I likely would have won the Season 1 title if we had put some of the poor sportsmanship rules into effect for that season (ie. running down the clock at any time during the game).

No Streaming Account
  15. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only played ESPN during those years you listed as well. This year I bought both ESPN and Madden. To me, Madden is the better game and is more realistic. Therefore, I have switched to solely playing Madden. That doesn't make me wrong or those fans of ESPN wrong. Each of us have our own opinions.

I've played in leagues with both games and very much prefer Madden as I feel I have more control over the outcome. When I played ESPN, the RBs seemed to break tackles quite easily which bothers me since I'm defensive minded. I can't say whether 2005 Madden is different than 2004, but being able to play 2005 online has been the most fun I've ever had with a football game. ESPN frustrates the heck out of me. A lot of that could be not knowing the controls though.

Anyway, like I said, it's personal preference. Either you like one or the other and sometimes both. Therefore, it's a waste of time to argue which one's better.

No Streaming Account
  16. Latdogg

Latdogg USAF

Discord:
    gajeske85#0
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. The reason I switched over to Sega's game is because I felt like I was playing the same Madden game every year. They would add stupid crap to the franchise mode but that was about it. Call me a "fanboy" of Sega if you like but I have a lot more fun playing the Sega series than I ever did with Madden.

Gajeske85
  17. Pyrogerbil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well lets try it.

See who comes closer. :)

No Streaming Account
  18. The Original MP

The Original MP Wreck 'Em Tech

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is kinda funnny that this pyrogerbil numb nuts acts as if we have never touched espn football before.

No Streaming Account
  19. jujimum

jujimum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I personally don't play either offline anymore so I don't really care about what's added or not to the offline play.

The reason I like Madden is the new defensive controls they added this season make a huge difference. Sometimes you can hurt yourself, but it's nice when you do something to stuff a play because you read the offense.

Now, ESPN does have some defensive controls as well, but I couldn't get the "feel" for them. After playing Madden so much, I got used to those controls and couldn't get my brain to function the other way.

Anyway, to each their own ;) . Like I said, I'm not a "fanboy" of either since I was ESPN for the past few years and now Madden this year. That's just the way things go ;)

I have put significant time in with both games though, so I feel like I've made the right decision with what suits my wants and needs of an online football game.

No Streaming Account
  20. All MiT Kev

All MiT Kev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No Streaming Account