Forfeits

Discussion in 'Leaguegaming Hockey League (LGHL)' started by Shad9w, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Shad9w

Shad9w Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I know that there are a lot of tough races in both conferences right now, but as a league, lets not let this season's outcome be determined by forfeits.

My team has no problem rescheduling a game with teams if there are issues getting a line together. We would much rather play the game than to take a meaningless forfeit win. We have given teams multiple amounts of time to get their rosters together and we are not always receiving the same courtesy in return when we have issues throwing a line together.

My point is, lets not be so eager to take forfeit wins as a league!

Rosters are tight for all teams, so lets see if we can do a better job of actually allowing games to be decided the way they should be decided.

Shad9w :hdet:

No Streaming Account
  2. Serpe x 13

Serpe x 13 Washed Up Center

Ratings:
    +1,290 / 165 / -333
    #Detriot4Cup

Serpe_x_13x
  3. BROKEUDOWN

BROKEUDOWN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +518 / 2 / -6
    I know that some of the Yotes are choked that we are collecting as many forfeit wins as we have.

But this is how i see it, You take the time to get your 6, you play or you forfeit.. badda-bing... move on. The regular season is long and the sooner every1 realizes that 20 after is 20 mins late, not 5 mins, the better.

I understand people have lives that they are leaving to play LG, but people also have lives they put on hold to wait.

No Streaming Account
  4. STEVlE W0NDER

STEVlE W0NDER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I've said it like ten times...it's not like this league is for money. This league is free and a good way to get organized 6v6 hockey going, especially since EASHL is running dry. If you can wait a few minutes to get that 6v6 game going, why wouldn't you?

No Streaming Account
  5. Knivessplash

Knivessplash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I am one of the only few active players on my team and it sucks that I joined this league to play 6's but all I get is forfeit losses.

No Streaming Account
  6. Serpe x 13

Serpe x 13 Washed Up Center

Ratings:
    +1,290 / 165 / -333
    #Swag

Serpe_x_13x
  7. whatsUPitsFARVA

whatsUPitsFARVA Katy Perry. NEW HOTNESS!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As it's been stated, forfeits suck. You know what else sucks? waiting for 15 minutes for a game. You know what sucks even more? Waiting another 15 minutes for the second game of the night. Yes, forfeits blow but they are necessary. And in the league of tight rosters it would also suck to reschedule with a team and then you, yourself, not have guys show up that night and receive a forfeit loss.

No Streaming Account
  8. Shad9w

Shad9w Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Forfeits are a necessary evil in a league like this; however, when the league gets to a point where players had rather get 2 points through a forfeit than through actually winning, we have problems. In the end, the teams that are banking on forfeit losses to boost their standings will get whats coming to them in the playoffs. My team has only had 1 forfeit win since ive been the owner, so I look to keep it that way so that our record actually means something in the end. I hope other teams feel the same way.

No Streaming Account
  9. worm42x10

worm42x10 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    i don't think anyone wants forfeit wins. do you know how much overtime from work i have gave up to "play" in this league. i hate giving up OT at work to sit here and not play any games. record for me says 11-2-2, but really it is 8-1-2. just so you know. 3 forfeit wins 1 forfeit L. 4 out of 15 games didn't get played. that is almost 1/3. i would love to play games, but if this is how things are going to be, i may as well go into work and make some money. we will see how next week goes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    No Streaming Account
  10. Shad9w

Shad9w Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I disagree, a lot of teams in this league would much rather take the 2 points than have to risk losing. Trust me, it has happened to us numerous times. Why play a good team that you will probably lose to if you can get 2 points from a forfeit. - Obvious mindset of many (not all) teams.

Also, we all give up personal time to be a part of this league. Sacrifices are necessary to have a good league. Players, owners, and gms need to continue to recruit players into this league so that teams are not forced to have to forfeit as much due to roster issues.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    No Streaming Account
  11. worm42x10

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    it's not personal time i am give up. i am give up work. i work overnight shift. so for me to turn down 8 hours of OT, just to sit here for 15 min and not play a game is getting really old to me. i could see if i worked during the day, and all it effected was what TV show i am watching, or if i could watch the football game on tv or not. but it's effecting work. and i don't mind not getting OT at work to play in a league. but i do mind giving up OT at work to not play games, and then get people talking crap about me for it.

No Streaming Account
  12. weenus

weenus Derptown

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I would rather wait 30 minutes to get a game going, or reschedule, then take a forfeit win.

No Streaming Account
  13. worm42x10

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    people who have been here for a while know what happens. i say yes if it takes 20 min to get the game going ok. but in previous seasons we have gone with a teams saying anything. i texted my guy in 5 minute he will be on. 10 min later, he is just getting home. 10 more minutes later, he can't connect. so mean while 50 after, oh never mind we don't have enough. because teams are so concerned with winning that they will make other teams wait blindly in a lobby for 50 min making stuff up. we have even had it before that after 15 after you had to contact a BOG or someone, who came in the lobby to see that you had you six. then got in a party with the team who didn't have enough. the problem is it just tied up them for an hour, just to have the teams forfeit anyway. been there... done that. like i said, i don't want to sit at home giving up time and a half at work, to not play a game so i can get some wins. but most people in the league now a days haven't been here for more then a season or two.

No Streaming Account
  14. FRANK LD 69

FRANK LD 69 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    trouba_train#0
    Ratings:
    +3,138 / 76 / -140
    Serpe you're bad.

gethesehands69
  15. ClarkesKids

ClarkesKids #6 LD/RD - Clarke

Discord:
    ClarkesKids#7109
    Ratings:
    +433 / 0 / -2
    Forfeits are a necessity in any league, if grown ass men can't adhere to a schedule and show up when they are assigned to play, it speaks volumes of their character and the other team who is ready and commited to playing cannot be punished, if anything they need to be rewarded for showing up and being ready. If the other team can't field a line up or they cant get online on time, they too should be punished and this is where forfeits are a necessity. Now Shit happens granted, and at times there will be reasons a guy cant make it, the point of forfeits is to keep people responsible for their commitments and for playing the games they say they will.

If a team cant get 6, do not make the other team wait and hope for a miracle, let them know right away, guys we probably won't have 6 can we re-schedule, or accept your team wont be able to play and deal with your punishment. The problem I have is when forfeits become the goal, no player or team should look forward to taking a forfeit, you should be trying to play every game at all costs, having said that if the other team doesn't have enough courtesy to show up on time, doesn't communicate or can't field a line-up, if you dont punish them, you encourage that behaviour.

No Streaming Account
  16. Sir Riasus

Sir Riasus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    ^^^

God I hate it when you actually make sense, as it happens so rarely. But right now you couldn't be more on point with your breakdown.

No Streaming Account
  17. Stewkos

Stewkos Veteran Presence

Discord:
    Stewkos#4830
    Ratings:
    +869 / 12 / -17
    As a league we have to do a better job of communicating between teams, without things escalating into an argument. I have no problem giving guys an extra 5 or 10 minutes before taking a forfeit win because I would rather lose than take a free win. However, I've been in numerous games where there is barely any conversation. If you have a guy who is a few minutes away or if a guy is just taking a shit, it's important to communicate that with the other team.

Forfeits are a problem, but to me part of the solution is to start keeping track of the people who are causing the forfeits and suspending or removing those who can't show up for a game they signed up for.

No Streaming Account
  18. dispiggy8donuts

dispiggy8donuts oink oink bitches

Discord:
    dispiggy8donuts#9244
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    This league needs to be strict on that stuff

No Streaming Account
  19. Scrapy Morano

Scrapy Morano Youngest NHL Legend

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I show up to play every night and my team only has 3 or 4 players left, we also have no managment our gm and owner quit

No Streaming Account
  20. weenus

weenus Derptown

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Clarke Kid: That's all pretty unreasonable. This league has limited roster size to allow players to see more game-time. However, this make's it a little hairy towards the end of the week for finding replacement players when LIFE comes in front of this hobby league. Also, the match times aren't really great for west coasters. Thank god I work mornings, but I get home 5 minutes before the 9pm game, meaning I can barely sit down, get changed out of my work clothes, use the bathroom, grab a drink, or do anything. If I want to play the 9pm game (6pm here on the West), I pretty much have to walk in, turn on the xbox, and play without any kind of warm up. God forbid I have to wrangle together a party in spite of Xbox Live's awful network connection and network incompatibilities.

I agree that you should let the other team know right away if you're not fielding your 6, but there aren't a lot of teams in this league who seem open to reschedule, most would rather take the ff win points and do it with a shit eating grin. It sort of breeds a desperate culture of doing whatever you can to field 6 at match time, even if that means putting players in bad positions, which, as I've personally seen already, alienates players and forces them to quit for other leagues.

Just look at the rosters, how many players in this league are playing on the team they were drafted by? How many players are even still playing that were involved in the draft? This league should be growing, not shrinking, because it has so many better features than the other leagues. It's not going to grow because it has the most forfeited games, unfortunately.

No Streaming Account