Please Review! NHL 23 Technical Test Feedback - Early Thoughts?

Discussion in 'EA NHL Series' started by LG McDonald, Aug 30, 2022.

?

What are your thoughts?

1. Love it!

21.4%
  2. Hate it!

33.1%
  3. Undecided

35.0%
  4. Other (comment)

10.5%
  1. P4ttelite

P4ttelite Well-Known Member

Discord:
    P4ttelite#8770
    Ratings:
    +2,051 / 230 / -350
    Worst beta game i have ever played in my life poke check is broken, Hitting is broken unless u are a big guy with triculence this game is build for people with no skills and have to play with big builds like powerforwards, enforcer and Defensive Dman.

• Funny Funny x 2
    xspezzal19lx
  2. Cross_X_Check

Cross_X_Check Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 123 / -201
    Why is poke check broken? Because it actually takes precision now? Because you actually lose speed when poking instead of being able to consistently poke people and go out of position without facing any consiquences? Sorry but it's actually better this way. Also hitting isn't broken I've seen people with medium and smaller builds hit people with medium and smaller builds. That's how it should be. I'm sorry but a guy 5'7" 160lbs shouldn't be able to wreck a guy that's 6'1 195lbs. It's not that the game is built for people with bigger builds it's being built to punish people who make poor decisions and actually makes it to where you need to think about what your next move is going to be instead of just holding poke check.

• Troll Troll x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    cross_x_check
  3. S-mxrs-H

S-mxrs-H Well-Known Member

Discord:
    smarshy.#0
    Ratings:
    +646 / 44 / -120
    This right here 100%

No Streaming Account
  4. superchimp99

superchimp99 Bullshit Artist

Discord:
    superchimp99#0
    Ratings:
    +35 / 11 / -32
    STILL no vibration fix and STILL forced to listen to long-winded woman on WoC menus :mad:

No Streaming Account
  5. X_Dynamic-_-

X_Dynamic-_- Member

Discord:
    xDynamicEntryx#3262
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It’s interesting, stat builds are better, always felt like the balance stat was off in 22 but they fixed that here. They nerfed defensive skill stick, if you rapid poke or hold out your stick you will get burned. It just takes a bit more skill to poke check now you just have to run them down and make a well aimed poke.

No Streaming Account
  6. thePRITTZ

thePRITTZ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anybody else is getting

NETWORK CONNECTION ISSUE
    Cant connect to ea servers

And cant even reach main menu?

I tried about 200 times to connect yesterday, rebooting xbox, modem and rooter, resetting the game, un-installing and re-installing the game.

I was able to get in late yesterday after spamming to join a few times but today it still gives me the same message over and over again.

In World of CHEL
    No Streaming Account
  7. KinGDooGi

KinGDooGi Well-Known Member

Discord:
    KinGDooGi#9999
    Ratings:
    +13 / 3 / -1
    Goalies get pounded no matter what, defence can’t make a poke check to save their lives, the passing has improved, and gameplay is nice, but every game I’ve played has been over 10+ goals total both sides, doesn’t matter what perks the G have, everything gets sniped on them. Lots of patches to be made, understandable it’s beta, but at least make it somewhat enjoyable for all positions.

• Winner Winner x 1
    KinGDooGi18
  8. Tayyyzzzz

Tayyyzzzz @TayyyzzzzNHL

Discord:
    tayyyzzzz#0
    Ratings:
    +1,129 / 117 / -116
    Games good so far. Love the stat buff to everything, along with increasing puck carrier speed. Nice to not need to have magnetic to receive a pass anymore. Love having the speed reduction on pokes/holding skill stick. Too many people used the poke spam and the skill stick as a crutch to abuse and those are the people constantly complaining about it. They'll adjust or continue to get burnt.

Goalies got absolutely shafted though, every game ends 10-9. Still hate that X Factors are in the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. JAAMx93x

JAAMx93x Well-Known Member

Discord:
    jmorrow474 Aka AhL_Allstar-3#8394
    Ratings:
    +421 / 5 / -16
    Goalie lives matter... I think... I'm not quite sure at this point...

• Like Like x 1
    ahl_allstar_3
  10. Big Wet Fist

Big Wet Fist Well-Known Member

Discord:
    drfurrynips#0
    Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -2
    Goalies clearly got shafted. But also I don’t actually mind that pokechecking slows you down cause now people can’t spam it, but any effectiveness of pokechecking was taken away. If someone skates right in front of me I’m rarely able to poke the puck away and when I do it goes right back on their stick. Combine that with bumps being basically gone there’s no way to actually get the puck as a dmen unless the player skates into your legs (good luck if they get onto your side and you’re stuck just skating next to them). I like that we’re trying to have a skill gap but we need at least one tool to be able to take the puck away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    No Streaming Account
  11. Givens43

Givens43 Meep Meeps Franchise Leading Goalscorer

Discord:
    givens43#0
    Ratings:
    +291 / 8 / -25
    Apparently it's the year of the stick lift since I have no idea how else to play defense on this game. If you hit someone they'll just shoot a 90MPH rocket while falling backwards. There never feels like a good situation to poke check unless they are skating directly into your range. I don't even think stick lifts got a buff, I just think they're the only thing that didn't get nerfed into thr ground.

I agree that being able to mash poke checks with very little drawbacks was a busted mechanic on 22, but I felt like they could've addressed it without ruining poke checks entirely. There's a whole middle ground that EA refuses to step in.

Passing feels better, but I think that might just be a side effect of defensemen not being able to get interceptions behind their back on a puck they can't see while skating full speed the opposite direction.

Shooting hasn't changed at all in my opinion. If you get space, you're going to score; Goalies got screwed again. This might just be my personal experience but I've noticed a lot more pucks hitting goalies and then going in. Not sure if others are seeing that but I feel like I'm getting at least a goal per game that way.

I think if the finished product of 23 is anything like this, the game is going to be hot garbage.

Givens43
  12. toews-_-

toews-_- Garbage Can

Discord:
    toews#9999
    Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -16
    Offense needs a nerf no way me and my shitter friends should be putting up 7 goals a game against top esports teams, goalies also need to be fixed cuz even players know for being notoriously good each year in net are struggling

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    edaw_98
  13. Kidney Bean69

Kidney Bean69 Kidney Bean69

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2
    Only thing changed in NHL 23. Is Defense can’t poke check, can’t stick lift and can’t hit. Not even going to mention how bad it is for goalies.

kidneybean69
  14. P4ttelite

P4ttelite Well-Known Member

Discord:
    P4ttelite#8770
    Ratings:
    +2,051 / 230 / -350
    I made a mistake judging the game i only played 3s at first but i since played 6s and honnestly this game is much better then 22. The puck pickups are way better then it is in 22. U also don't need magnetic to pickup passes that nice. The poke check is more like old gen u got to time it and not hold your stick like in 22 so it nice. I really like the TWD build in nhl 23 over 22 and i like that u don't need to play a small build in 23. They do need to fix stuff on the goalie side but i don't really play that position so wont comment on that. overall much better game hope they don't change to much for the real game.

xspezzal19lx
  15. PuckNastyI8I

PuckNastyI8I Veteran Old Man

Discord:
    PuckNastyI8I#6057
    Ratings:
    +201 / 29 / -30
    The LT ballerina queens need to go, that ain't hockey, it resembles backing themselves into the paint in basketball. Pretty cheap!

XBOXPuckinNutz
  16. DDA Warrior7211

DDA Warrior7211 Well-Known Member

Discord:
    DDA Warrior#6711
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One step forward two steps back?

ddawarrior
  17. CreemoreTorch

CreemoreTorch Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    LOOoooONG POST

A Keepers Take:

Dear positional players: I know that you hate when a goalie shows up to play drop in. Sorry, but human controlled goalies can not compete with CPU goalie. I have done you all the service of backing out when I am the loan G. You are gonna hate Goalies even more in 23. I suspect that less and less players will be less inclined to take the goalie position on. It's hard enough to "get" the position let alone Stick to it, The Beta version will dissuade many people from even attempting more than a hand full of games as G. Its a shame actually because the position itself is very intuitive and I think it can and should translate to video game play. its a position of recognizing patterns it requires patience, and it is an integral part of establishing momentum, creating tension and suspense in the game, both in real life and virtually. My experience is that 23 has stunted the actual skills of the human goalie. My expectation is that upon first playing, goal scorers will love the finishing results but over time, inflated scores of 10-13 will get boring.

If you positional players want a more authentic experience, then you actually want Goalies to be able to perform at a much better level. The games would be lower scoring, therefore more suspenseful more engaging. The players who can score will be rewarded with accurate statistics that reflect their true abilities. This 23 version rewards mediocrity. The game must be designed to reward players for their actual skills. I want to see a shut down defence man recognized for shot blocking skill and clearing his crease of traffic. I want to see a two way forward rewarded for making great defensive plays in the neutral zone. The game has been designed to reward mediocrity. It is pandering to players who show up just to hog a puck so that they can get their goals. Its boring, and getting more boring.

EA NHL 23 has to catch up on the importance of the Goalie position (and each position for that matter). Consider this: the greatest goalies in the real world post SV % in the high .800's to low to mid .900's the highest SV% in drop in 6's is 812. there are currently 3.....3 only 3 current goalies who are holding down a plus 800 SV%...
    Compare that to the highest scoring players in EA NHL. how many players have 1000 goals and more accumulated over a season of game play?

I believe LG represents the best players in the world and I hope that The game designers listen to their elite players.

I myself will pass on purchasing the 23 version until I hear of significant improvements to the goalie position.

I played around 20 games in Goalie on the 23 tech test. Normally on 22 I play 6s drop in. There were not enough players to get a full game: wait times were up to 5 minutes for 6's.... so I played 3's
    My expectation with 3s is always that there will be lots of opportunity to shoot and find break away chances, 2 on 1 etc. So I expect to get lit up. Oh Did I ever.....typical scores where in double digits.

What did the Goalies get in this beta version.
    There is an animation of the goalie looking around screens. Aesthetically it looks authentic.... whatever. Thanks.
    Additional animations on goalie scrambles: Previously you might get that animation of a goalie flopping around to swat at loose pucks with the stick, I found that was happening more frequently, also on a few occasions my controlled goalie would lay down flat on his back to cover pucks.

lets honestly talk gameplay. Im not going to claim that I am a great Goalie., Here are my current stats on 22 drop in 6's Judge for yourself - SV% .772 44th overall ranking- GAA hovers at 4. -My break away save % is 62% 15th overall ranking, my rank on drop in 6s is 136. like i say im not the best but the numbers are respectable. Ive got a pretty good handle of the position and I am always looking for the edge be that through zone attributes, abilities, etc.

The goalie position was Unpalatable. typically my in-game grading for positioning is B, B-... Say what you will about what the grading system means, good positioning should translate to making stops. NoT so in 23. positioning means little to nothing. I was routinely beat on straight on shots. rebounds would somehow miraculously fall in front only to be magnetically pulled into the net through the five hole... CPU defensive players were responsible for at least 1-2 own goals a game when they would track the loose puck knocking it into their own net. How many times do I have to watch CPU players bang down their sticks in frustration. The answer: at least 1-2 times a game.

Reaction times were slowed to a literal halt. Common scenario: Two on one or two on 0:. D takes the middle I hold position with shooter, anticipating pass. I attempt to shuffle across with the pass for 1T. Goalie would freeze in mid move. Frequency: often 75%

Break aways: maybe stopped 5-8 out of 50 or more. I threw poke checks, I stood completely still, I used everything in my Arsenal to stop break aways. not even an inflated Break away/ poke check rating could hold back the onslaught.. and on the few occasions that it did..... here came the trusty defence man of mine to knock it into the net.

I was really hoping that the Beta test would show an improvement for the Goalie... it didn't. I will still play 22 but for how long?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    No Streaming Account
  18. CreemoreTorch

CreemoreTorch Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yup

No Streaming Account
  19. toews-_-

toews-_- Garbage Can

Discord:
    toews#9999
    Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -16
    Good to see ppl are finally sick of EAs bullshit

Attached Files:

edaw_98
  20. Popoye222

Popoye222 Popoye222 The Brick Wall

Discord:
    Popoye222#3969
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -12
    Ok ok .....
    More fluid, more realistic, more tuff, it's really a question of adaptation and with who you play

Defense trying to block the shot instead of playing the man .....
    Goals.

Turnovers.
    Goals

Skate out of the post .
    Shot below redline.
    Goals

Heatseekers
    Don't challenge the shot.
    Goals

I'm still in LuV with 23 more

Thanks Oppah !!!

But I'll Keep The Grind In 23 !!![​IMG]