Sportsmanship

Discussion in 'LG Madden Online Franchise' started by dvdguy, Nov 3, 2003.

1. dvdguy

dvdguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are stats really that important to everyone in this league that when you're up by more than 4 touchdowns you're still bombing the ball down the field, playing your starters, and not taking a knee with under a minute left in the fourth quarter?

I'm constantly amazed by players who will throw a TD pass up by 35 with 26 seconds left in the game. What's the point? Is there a prize if your guy has the most passing yards in a virtual season?

I don't get it... I wish I could understand the logic.

No Streaming Account
  2. XBoxJon

XBoxJon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let's get the facts straight here. I'm tired of the whining going on about this game (especially when it's inaccurate):

-there were 3 passes thrown by my team the entire 2nd half, only one thrown for over 5yds, the rest was YAC. One was a pass in the weak side flat to my FB who went uncovered and untouched for a 64yd TD. I passed another to Bruce in the flat on a WR screen that went for maybe 15yds... again, not a "bomb" at all... simple playcalling to avoid the 8 men in the box on defense that was preventing me from running plays in the middle of the field. The 3rd pass of the half, and the only long throw of the 2nd half, was a flag route to Holt on 3rd down (and long yardage). Yes, it was about a 25yd completion for a TD, but it was 3rd and long. You can't expect your opponent to run the ball on 3rd and long and just give the ball back to you, no matter what the score is.

-Starters only come out if injured or fatigued. There is absolutely no reason to substitute for bench players. We've discussed this ad nauseum, spend some more time posting in the forums and you'd see that. If you wore a headset, I would have been happy to explain it then as well.

-Making 3 consecutive dive plays for 1-2yd each with the FB to run out the clock is pretty much the same as downing the ball in my book. I'd rather not have to input an additional line of stats for my QB's rushing totals of -3 yds... instead, I just give the ball to the FB and dive for a yard. It's easier and either way it's not going to yield a score and produces the same effect (runs out the clock).

-the comment about throwing a TD pass with 35 seconds left is simply not accurate (unless you are talking about a different game)... although, striker only passed for 70yds total in his 56-0 victory, so I doubt you are referring to that game. The last 90 seconds of the game was run out by the previously mentioned FB diving through the middle.

-not punting the ball ONE TIME the entire game is going to lead to excellent field position for the other team. If you constantly give your opponent the ball on your own side of the field, it's going to lead to a huge score and a very short field for them. If they get the ball on the 30yd line after stuffing your 4th down, are they supposed to run it 3x for no gain and punt? I think not. If you don't like huge scores against you, start punting the ball if the game is getting out of hand and make your opponents earn their field position.

-most of the scores in our game were due to bad defensive playcalling, it's as simple as that. I had several long TD's where the ball carrier went completely untouched or only needed to break one diving arm tackle at their ankles. I won't apologize for making my RB go untouched past your secondary because the wrong defense play was called. Am I supposed to slow down and wait for the defenders catch up from behind? Maybe I should just start downing it in the 3rd period or something? Please.

No Streaming Account
  3. Giotto

Giotto Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are people not punting on fourth down? I hope that is not happening in the league. I can understand late in the game and fourth and short on or past your opponents 40 yard line. But if teams are not playing for field position, thats SUCKS! i hate those kind of games. I really hope were not getting away from sim play. :cry:
    There is a problem with the outside run in the game and that is really the only major downfall that i see in the game. It does force the D to play a conservative run containment game. Sticking with a 4-3 or nickel ZONE while bringing up you Free safety can really help. This also does protect against the passing game. While running a Man to Man and blitzing will open up the run more and quick pass plays. That aside i have been beaten by the Lion at home, by team that know there play book and how too use the D. there is no reason to make this a one dimensional game of trick plays and going for it all the time, PLEASE!!!!

No Streaming Account
  4. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I always punt unless I have forth and short and I'm just outside of FG range and inside the 40-50yd line.

I can see not punting the ball if the game is close and you might catch up, but if the game is way out of hand, there's no reason to go for it and give the ball to the other team on the 20-30yd line. That's just going to lead to 2 play drives for touchdowns.... there's not much you can do there when your opponent gives you the ball that close to the endzone time and time again. Normally I wouldn't even justify these types of posts with a response, but I'm just growing tired of the complaints about the scores, game, etc as alot of it is self inflicted.

No Streaming Account
  5. Giotto

Giotto Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been down two touchdowns, punted and later came back to win. The game seems to adjust to the type of game you play. It seems to give you a chance if you let it and stick to your game plan. The quickest way to upset that is not to play field position and/or going for it all the time. If your behind and give up or go for it usually leads to falling further and further behind. I almost beat Miami in Miami with the Colts down 2 touchdowns. My opponent kept running outside with Ricky and i went up bye one with less then a 2 minutes. I missed a tackle and Ricky went to the end zone.

No Streaming Account
  6. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i dont know if ANYONE should call dvdguy a whiner - considering he SHOWS up and PLAYS all his games, despite losing...

i give him alot of credit for not bagging the season, and playing all his games...

there are some people winning plenty of games who havent done that!

No Streaming Account
  7. dvdguy

dvdguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not even talking about you.

No Streaming Account
  8. dvdguy

dvdguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Goalie. I came into the league after the first owner bailed after going 0-6 or 0-7 or something like that, and the Browns are one of the worst teams in the game.

I didn't know that asking about sportmanship is considered whining. I have been in games where with 26 seconds left on the clock and behind by 35 or something like that, my opponent (not XBoxJon, again, this has nothing to do with you) has thrown a 60-yard bomb for another TD. I just wondered why stats are so important to everyone, except for XboxJon of course.

No Streaming Account
  9. striker3771

striker3771 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope he's not talking about our game. I only threw 5 passes all game. My defense caused 2 turnovers and both defenders ran for tds. It didnt matter if I ran outside or inside I was able to run on your defense. I tried to run down the clock and that is why I only threw 5 times. I really dont care about stats. If I cared about stats, I would've broken Jon's record for largest margin of victory. I had the ball inside your 20 with 30 seconds left in the game. I have a question for you though. Could you tell me your logic of using your timeouts just before the 2 min warning in the 4th? If you wanted the game to be over with, why use your timeouts?

No Streaming Account
  10. dvdguy

dvdguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well ok, so stats are important then. And while fine, I guess I can understand that logic, you didn't exactly run out the clock. You were still hurrying your play calls. Under a minute left in the game and you were snapping the ball with 25-30 seconds left on the play clock. You ran your last play when you didn't even have to, as there was less time on the game clock than on the play clock.

But don't get so upset, the comments weren't directed at you.

No Streaming Account
  11. dvdguy

dvdguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not talking about this game either. Yours was a solid effort, depsite my guys fumbling twice on the freakin' 1 yard line. :)

I was calling timeouts because I wanted the ball back, to prevent the shut out. I'd had several good drives and felt like I could put some points on the board. Simple as that. Real teams will do that too... no one likes a shutout.

No Streaming Account
  12. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I apologize then, as I assumed they were directed at me since the post came just after we finished playing.

No Streaming Account
  13. dvdguy

dvdguy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's cool. I just happened to be on here and decided to vent a little. I came into the league with no chance to win and just to have a little fun, to see how this whole thing works. I was just surprised by some of the stat-happy players is all.

If I could pose a suggestion for the next season, maybe the all-time records should be done away with? Someone gets it into their head that the biggest margin of victory is 68 points and then starts deciding to play to beat that record instead of just playing the game?

No Streaming Account
  14. XBoxJon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, what sets our scoreboard apart from most leagues is the individual stat tracking that we have here. Alot of leagues only have wins and losses, and Tris10 worked really hard to build the scoreboard for us and to get all of the need stats that we have to look at. It works great in the hockey league, since you can't really feed a player too much or try and run it up at will.

Yes, having the league records does cause some stat whoring, which is to be expected, but I guess it's a necessary evil I guess when you have that kind of a scoreboard.

No Streaming Account
  15. Giotto

Giotto Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its tough taking a team with a loosing record and tougher when it?s a team like the Browns, major thumbs up in my book and good luck.

Two comments, one, online game play really needs good sportsmanship. So please, we all know how it feel to have some #%*&hole run up the score on us. Try to keep it in mind when playing league game.

Second, (I know this should not be brought up now so please nobody respond to this directly.) In the next draft it would be nice to have some consideration for those teams with loosening records in next season?s draft. Key word is consideration. I don?t feel veterans should be sideswiped, but I'm sure we can give some consideration for perseverance and us cool guys who pick up teams with loosing records. LOVE THIS LEAGUE STUFF!! YOU QUYS ARE GREAT!! :D

No Streaming Account
  16. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is the part I have a problem with:

>>>>I'm constantly amazed by players who will throw a TD pass up by 35 with 26 seconds left in the game. What's the point? >>>>

what the hell?

if you're up 35 in the 4th quarter, run the ball into the line twice and eat up the clock. if you want to throw on 3rd down and 10, that's fine. (in my opinion) - but i have seen players playing to win by 42 as opposed to 35.

dvdguy- i would just try to laugh and say to myself, "hey buddy, if it's that important in your life to win by 42 - go for it!"

after re-reading jon's long post outlining the plays that he felt he needed to explain, i would agree with just about all of them.

the only one i have a problem with is the insistence that "bad defensive playcalling" is the culprit in this game.

i have repeatedly seen this argument, and i disagree completely. the fault of this game is the AI defense SUCKS! there's no other way around it. i know that jon completely disagrees - but that's my feeling (and i know of 20 other owners who agree). in real football, the "wrong defensive call" means having a pass defense (like 5 dbs) in during a run situation (3rd and 1) - if they break that for a TD, so be it...

this game fails because on 1st and 10, with a STANDARD run defense (4-3, moderate man or zone - not DEEP zone) - TD's are way too prevalent.

the AI blocking is FAR superior to AI defense. FAR superior.

No Streaming Account
  17. Giotto

Giotto Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the best argument confirming what goalie is saying is the league rushing compared to league passing. They should not be almost equal. Forcing you to play constant run D just to contain not to mention stop the run.
    Good example: Colts at Tampa 12 secondes left 2nd half. I play prevent zone thinking it should at least contain allstott if he goes to him. Work once ran for 9, the secund time he went 60+ yds for the TD. Id still be pissed if i hadn't won.

Am i agreeing with a Ranger, Jet fan. Someone check my temp.:hnyi: :fnyg:

No Streaming Account
  18. goalie

goalie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol - poor giotto

No Streaming Account
  19. Junk69

Junk69 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I have an awful record and have been on the wrong end of a number of blowouts. I've had teams take three knees in a row and then punt if time allows. I've had teams gun for the endzone right to the last second no matter how far up they were.

To be honest, I don't mind the late game stat chasers. I play for fun and to me I'd rather have a chance for a fumble recovery or interception than twiddle my thumbs while the clock runs out. Of course if its combined with a lot of trash-talking then it gets more frustrating and ceases to be fun.

Just my .02 :)

No Streaming Account
  20. Golden Gophers

Golden Gophers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeh I usually run instead of just taking a knee, cuz I want to play the game and run plays not just sit there and twiddle my thumbs like Majorjunk said. Of course I am hardly on the side of blowouts anyways.

No Streaming Account