UFC/MMA talk thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by DemonSpawn78, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
    No Streaming Account
  2. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brock Lesnar is scheduled to appear at UFC 81 vs Frank Mir. Here is a little bit on him from Matt Hughe's autobiography:

"No one ever gets mobbed when they walk in the door at the Miletich gym in Bettendorf. The new guys usually don't come up to the champions, gushing or trying to shake hands with them. Glances re thrown sideways but heads don't actually turn. But they turned when Brock Lesnar made his appearance at the Miletich gym in late 2005.

On television Brock looked like he could take on Godzilla. But in person he was only six foot two, about halfway in height between me and Timmy. Pat led him to me to make introductions. "Nice to meet you," he said. "I'm just starting out and I'm new to this whole thing." The guy was absolutely massive, but there weren't that many massive guys in the sport--and for good reason. All the muscle takes up a lot of oxygen, and they tend to get gassed pretty quickly.

[I'm skipping an irrelevant bit]

"Hey, Matt, Brock's a two-time Division I All-American," Pat explained.

"No kidding. So was I!"

"Really?" Brock said. He gave me the nod; we had walked in each other's shoes.

"Let's see what you got!" I said, getting into my stance. We rolled around and right away I could see why he thought about getting into fighting. The wrestling background let him get into a pretty good position and keep it. But he still left openings that experienced fighters wouldn't. Within five minutes I had my arms wrapped around his neck in a rear naked choke.

Brock stood up and it was just like when I choked out Frank Trigg for the first time. Then he fell backward with all his strength trying to dislodge me, and the force of a man one hundred pounds heavier than I was slammed me into the mat. It didn't really hurt, but it must have looked like a horse kicking off a rider at a rodeo. I kept up the choke and Brock tapped.

"Hey, we don't do that here!" Pat yelled out to him. "You could have broken Matt's rib or something."

"You're right, you're right," Brock said quickly. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," I told him, taking his hand and getting up. "Hey it's good when someone makes you tap. The more you tap in here the less you'll get caught when you're in the octagon, you know?" But for whatever reason, Brock stopped coming to Bettendorf and rolling with us. The revolving door at Miletich Fighting Systems kept spinning."

Summary:

-Brock attempted to start his training at MFS.

-Brock and Hughes rolled for a bit, with Hughes outpositioning him and subbing him within 5 minutes.

-Brock never returned, without any excuse.

Granted this is Matt Hughes perspective, I think it provides an interesting look into Brock Lesnar's transition to MMA. Hope you enjoyed that.

No Streaming Account
  3. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's another little article some of you fight fans may find interesting. Elite XC head Gary Shaw is trying to get into it with Dana White. His tactics are obviously trying to get a slice of the pie by drawing attention but he is such a newb in MMA (boxing promoter). A little lengthy but worth the read:

SHAW AND WHITE AT ODDS ONCE AGAIN

The war of words continues between EliteXC’s Gary Shaw and Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White.

Since joining the mixed martial arts fray in 2006, Shaw has had words for White, but his most recent comments to Steve Cofield in an article published by Fox Sports were aimed squarely at the UFC’s dominance.

"It was easy for UFC before there was competition. There was no other choice in the past. Once you have choices, there's a problem," said Shaw. "You can't stuff a pay-per view down the throat of the fan every month if there are other choices out there. I don't know what their real pay-per-view numbers are, but I guarantee you they're not doing the 700,000-800,000 pay-per-view numbers now. And you don't hear them bragging about it."

He went on to say that EliteXC’s emergence in the market was causing the UFC to have to pay more for its fighters, since there was now more bidding for their services.

The comments didn’t sit well with White, who told Yahoo! Sports, “We beat our pay-per-view numbers from last year. We just don't brag about it because we don't talk about our business in the public.”

He continued, "And if we were getting competition, it's not coming from EliteXC and both of the people who are watching their shows. This guy is a low-level bottom feeder. He didn't like MMA a few years ago, but when he finally couldn't make money at boxing any more, he came over to this sport to try to leech money out of it."

It’s hard to argue with the success that the UFC has had. And despite EliteXC and others’ attempts to secure the services of fighters like Wanderlei Silva, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, and Dan Henderson, all three are currently under contract with the UFC.

The promotion’s most recent event, UFC 79 garnered a live gate revenue of more that $4.9 million, the second largest in mixed martial arts history.

Of course, along with the mainstream growth of the sport, there will be the EliteXCs, M-1 Globals, HDNet Fights, and others that will attempt to at least carve out a piece of the pie.

The UFC hasn’t been sitting idly by however, resting on its laurels.

“We had a kick ass 2007. It was an aggressive year for us; buying Pride, (World Extreme Cagefighting), cover of Sports Illustrated, moving into Europe, and next year’s going to be even bigger,” said White recently.

The UFC has already announced plans for 2008 that include more dates in the U.K., its debut in Canada, a move into Germany, a focus on opening up New York to sanctioning, and more.

EliteXC has been aggressively pursuing partnerships and acquiring other promotions in attempts to expand its own reach throughout the globe.

The new M-1 Global has already partnered with various other organizations in Japan to promote a New Year’s Eve event that harkens back to the days of the Pride Fighting Championships.

And HDNet Fights has been quietly starting its promotional offerings and working with other organizations to provide a television outlet, the HDNet hi-definition channel, for their offerings.

There is definitely more activity in the industry than at any point in history and various scenarios are developing at a rapid pace, but whether EliteXC or anyone else proves a competitor on par with the UFC will take time to play out.

- SHAW TO WHITE: "LET HIM FIGHT OUR FIGHTERS"

The war of words between Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White and EliteXC live events president Gary Shaw continued on Wednesday when, during a media conference call, the feud was brought up and Shaw had strong words in response to what White said recently.

“All I'm saying is, and I've said it all along, there is a differentiator. If you fight for the UFC, you can't be bigger than Dana White and the UFC,” said Shaw.

“If you fight for EliteXC, as a fighter, you're bigger than Gary Shaw. It's about the fighter. It's not about me. Whether it's Kimbo, who was signed to us, or any other fighter. I believe we represent some of the greatest fighters in the world. I believe that Antonio ‘Big Foot’ Silva could knockout any heavyweight in the UFC.”

Speaking about Antonio Silva, Shaw also confirmed that he will fight on the Feb. 16 card facing Cage Rage heavyweight champion Gary Turner in a bout that could showcase two of the best up-and-coming big men in all of MMA.

Shaw also had some complementary things to say about the UFC and what its done for the sport of mixed martial arts, but was quick to point out the exclusivity they keep with their fighters.

“Now, I'm not disparaging the UFC. They have some great fighters and great fights. They have a good brand,” he stated. “They do a good job marketing their brand, but they don't own MMA. They don't own the space. They have a brand."

“You know what, if you hold up the belt there, all you are is the club champion. Until Dana White is willing to fight his fighters against other brands; all they are is club champions.”

The open challenge was extended to White and the UFC to put their fighters against the fighters from EliteXC, and while Shaw made a strong gesture, a co-promoted show between the two organizations will likely never happen.

“I extend the challenge and always have. It's like Kimbo; you want to fight him? Call us up, you can come in the cage and fight him,” said Shaw. “You want to fight Jake Shields, fight Jake Shields. We're proud of the people we represent. Robbie Lawler, I could go down the whole roster.”

Despite the challenges and compliments towards the UFC and their fighters, Shaw was quick to once again point both barrels at UFC president Dana White.

“For Dana White to try to convince the fans that he owns all of the best fighters in the world. To say that this is just a starting point for fighters and then they're going to go to UFC. He is full of (expletive),” said Shaw with conviction. “Let him fight our fighters.”

No Streaming Account
  4. DemonSpawn78

DemonSpawn78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I couldnt wait and watched the fights live today. Man they were some great fights.

I wont spoil anything for those that havnt watched it yet though :mrgreen:

No Streaming Account
  5. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Penn rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Streaming Account
  6. BleedBlueBlood

BleedBlueBlood Baron Von Sauerkraut

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    I told ya'll Penn would beat Stevenson no problem ;) Now, the Penn Sherk fight is going to be a good one! I still have to go with Penn though.

BleedBlueBlood
  7. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

No Streaming Account
  8. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone watch the UFC even on Saturday? In the two main events my predictions and favourites came true. Brock Lesnar attacked like a savage beast but as expected left himself exposed to knee bar. Believe me, if you didn't tap out his career would have been over and knee surgery was on the agenda.

Big "Minotaura" Noguiera withstood the barrage of punches and choked out Tim Sylvia. It felt good, he's a fighter that I would rather watch in title fights. Gotta love the submission wins, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu really is the best martial art out there IMO.

No Streaming Account
  9. BleedBlueBlood

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    I saw it and I called both of the fights too :)

BleedBlueBlood
  10. nosice

nosice Only Texans Fan @ LG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We just got through seeing the Lesner, Mir fight.. Sheez.. Mir Can take a beating thats for sure..

No Streaming Account
  11. SkatingPenguin

SkatingPenguin Pens 4 Life!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to see Brock win just because I was a huge wrestling fan so you like to see him make the jump to MMA and do well. You're right about Mir taking a beating. I think Brock will be back and I don't know if you can match his power. I thought he was gonna have Mir at one point.

The card for the St. Pierre / Serra looks killer....

No Streaming Account
  12. DemonSpawn78

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brock shouldve won that figtht :evil: Mir was hurt and scared...I sure hope theres a re-match.

Whens the Serra/St Pierre fight going down?

No Streaming Account
  13. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You crazy!! I was ecstatic! It did some good to the ego's of the fake fighters watching from the sidelines. He was only hammerfisting him. It's not like he had him hurt. If Brock would have continued at that pace he would have been spent by the end of Round 1 and left as easy pickings for a KO. Don't get me wrong...Brock has power but he didn't fight a smart fight. It just prves you can't just walk into MMA because you are a freak and expect to win. These guys have been disciplined in their field for years and years.

UFC 83 is set for April 12th.

No Streaming Account
  14. DemonSpawn78

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agreed....but you got to admit, Mir looked hurt, and he was also rocked after the point was taken when Brock dropped him. Mir was searching for anything, and he found an ankle. It does go to prove that you have to have all skills in MMA not just a few. I still would like to see Lesnar do well in UFC, I'm not a big Mir fan anyways :razz:

No Streaming Account
  15. GrandmasterB

GrandmasterB GRAPHIC ASSASSIN

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    I couldn't agree more with you Brian. Mir was just biding his time waiting for Lesnar to make a mistake. BTW...I watched it at work yesterday (Comcast Media Center). I was browsing the channels and tuned in for FREE! Gotta love working for a cable joint.

No Streaming Account
  16. BleedBlueBlood

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0
    It's in Montreal, the first time in Canada. SkatingPenguin and I were going to get tickets, but man, their steep. $550 :-&

St. Pierre is going to smoke Serra this time!

BleedBlueBlood
  17. pixelslash

pixelslash Inactive

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Preach it brother. I like Serra but St. Pierre is the man. I can't wait for that match.

I also agree regarding Brock. I had a feeling if Mir could survive the first minute then he would have a great chance to win. Brock was way to aggressive, which is what a lot of the guys with power tend to do and they wear themselves out or leave themselves open.

No Streaming Account
  18. SkatingPenguin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Don't you tap Joey! Don't you tap!" - Matt Serra

if you guys remember last seasons Ultimate Fighter....lol

I wonder if Joey will be in his corner for the St. Pierre fight...

I'd like to see Joey fight Andy Wang.... battle of the cry babies.. the loser should put on a diaper and have to drink from a bottle...

No Streaming Account
  19. Xeno72

Xeno72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Make it a 3 way with Gabe Ruedigar....I think antics took the cake.

Joey was an idiot though....you'd think a top level Jiu Jitsu expert would have the mental stamina to not be consumed with thoughts of a cheating girlfriend.

No Streaming Account
  20. SkatingPenguin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HA HA!! Wasnt Gabe the guy that went for the poop suction? Too funny...

Ok so that's 3 guys... Hmm this could turn into another season of TUF where the season is called "the biggest loser" and one of these rejects gets a UFC contract.

There was one guy who always had a cut on his nose and one episode he tried to run through a wall.. can't remember his name..

Just to add I see the next season of TUF starts april 2nd.. I'm gonna be in Vegas in less than 2 weeks. Anyone know where the UFC training facility is? lol

No Streaming Account